Well, as I (Ben) write this update letter to you I can’t believe that I’m also packing up some things and thinking about all the many details for my trip to Indonesia today to renew my visa. I must admit that I ask for prayer with my attitude for this week an a half trip back to Indonesia. Our last few months as a family have just been a crazy.
On January 19 we as a family left for our 35 hr travel time (25 ½ on the ocean) one way to survey the Taliabu people in the Maluku region of Indonesia for two weeks. After we got back on February 2 from that awesome trip we had 10 days to say our good bye’s, sell all we could, and pack the rest before flying to back to the United States on February 12. We were then in California for 2 weeks visiting family, friends, and churches before Ruth and our girls flew to New Hampshire. The plan was at that point for me to drive our car and carload of things to New Hampshire. After a slight detour of needing to get some transmission work done I was off making my 7-day trip across country visiting a few friends, family and Freedom Fellowship (Thanks guy’s you were awesome) on the way. I’ve now been back with my very missed family for a total of 8 days and now again I’m packing my bags and will be gone for 10 days for a visa renewal. But I guess this is the missionary life right?! : - )
How is Joanna and her family you might ask? Below is part of an update that they just sent out this week.
"Praying Family & Friends,
We've had a few good weeks now with no seizures, and Joanna is sleeping better; Praise the Lord! She still has lots of bad days where she is tired and/or confused, but we trust that little by little she is getting better. Thank you all so much for your prayers and support for us these past months. I never could have imagined that we'd be going through this, but God knows and He carry's us along.I'd like to share some more specific prayer requests beyond Joanna's healing. We need to decide if we are going to continue to stay here in NH or go back to Canada. The living situation is best here with Joanna's family close by to help with the kids, however all the doctors that have worked on Joanna are in Halifax, NS. If we decide to stay here, I (Curtis) would need to apply for a Green Card, and we need to get set up with new doctors here in the NH should she need further care. Right now it looks like our medical bills will be covered here by a community care program (a big answer to prayer) however I don't know if we can count on that indefinitely. Also if we become residents here, then all of us lose health coverage in NS. Very complicated isn't it.Anyway as you can tell this is a tough decision and we need to decide soon.
Pray for clear direction and peace about the decision.Once again we thank you for be faithfully behind us during this time, we believe God has more in store for us yet!
Standing in His graceCurtis for Joanna, Natalie, Reuben & Kaylie"
Please Pray for:
1) That God would be healing Ruth’s sister Joanna and that God would give their family wisdom with decisions they need to make.
2) That this year State Side goes well and is profitable for us.
3) As we look to return to Indonesia and work with the Taliabu people pray that we would receive more monthly financial supporters to enable us to work in that tribal ministry.
4) For Ben as he flies back to Indonesia for a week and a half to renew he’s Visa. Pray that Ben's travels go safe and well and that Ruth and the girls do well in his absence.