Sunday, June 24, 2007

Gideon Bible or an Arrow Pointing to Mecca?

Open the night stand drawer in almost any hotel room in the world and you will find a Bible placed there by the Gideon’s International. The oldest Christian business and professional men’s association in the United States, the Gideons have been around for more than 100 years, and have been placing Bibles in hotel rooms for almost that long.

I had a real eye opening experience this last week staying in a nice hotel room in tourist area called Jogjakarta, on the island of Java, here in Indonesia. In this hotel room was this arrow on the ceiling that points to the direction of Mecca for Muslim prayer. And as I opened the drawers of the night stands and desk to my surprise there were no Gideon Bible.

So if you think we have a lots of missions work to do in America just remember: Not only did I NOT have a Gideon Bible in my hotels room, I did have arrow pointing to Mecca! Something to think about...


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And here I thought you were going to bash the Gideons. ;o)